Monday, February 4, 2008

English Spoken Here

I finally got it! I've tried making this skirt for months, but it never seemed to turn out the way I saw it in my mind. Has that ever happened to you? I mean, being able to imagine something you want to create, but having a mental block about how to get there?

I made this fabric back in October, as you can guess from the colors, and I wanted to use it in a skirt that flared at the hem -- something that swished gently as I walked but didn't fly away like so many flexi skirts do.





Well here it is, finally.

It has two tiers of panels. Only the lower tier is flexi, so each panel around the hem responds gently as you change position while the upper tier follows the movement of your hips. It's very smooth. And there's an extra bonus .... it almost behaves when you sit down on the right poseball.



Almost. :D

I am so pleased. If you are too, you can find this skirt, "Harvest Colors," in my shop on Elysian Isle. Oh, don't forget to look upstairs. I expanded the shop last week and moved all the blouses and skirts up there.

Enough about skirts.

Today I want to show you the English Square on Info Island International. It's a nice, bricked public square just outside the south entrance to the huge ALS Headquarters building.





English is spoken by almost 2 billion people around the world. In this area, we display the flags of six countries where English is spoken by the majority of citizens as a first language: The United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Ireland, and the United States. As in every other language area on the island, you can get a notecard with information about any flag by clicking on the colored band on its flagpole.

I expect to see pigeons when I visit here, flocking around that large fountain, but the only bird here is a lonely blackbird who sings to himself all day. By the way, the fountain also hands out a notecard with all manner of interesting information about the spread of English in the world today. It's fascinating to me to read how quickly English became a major world language and how many regional variants are spoken today.



This is a fine place for a group to meet, maybe for an open-air discussion or a seminar. Plenty of room for dancing, too, if that's what you'd rather do. Or, if you're like me, you can just stand and stare into the fountain.

No comments: