Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Depot -- Only Yesterday



























Before you say anything ...... yes, that's a new me in the photo. I have been thinking about a change for a long time, but just kept putting it off. A few weeks ago, though, I finally decided it was time. New skin, new shape, new hair .... the only thing that's the same is ME inside. ;-)



For the record, my skin is from Laqroki, my hair is Sirena's, and my shape was custom made by Rocksie Slade, the Shape Shifter, who is a genius and a good friend.




I can't believe what a difference it makes. If nothing else, it has boosted my self-image immensely. I just wish I could work this magic in RL!


One side effect, of course, is that none of my prim clothes fit any more. I gained three inches in height and I have fuller hips now. Skirts that used to be just right now sit low on my hips and are too snug. Darn the luck.



This is a good opportunity for me to remind you, though, that prim clothing almost never fits perfectly. It's a mistake to pretend that it does. We all vary in shape, just as we do in RL, so you should expect to make adjustments when you buy new clothes. Otherwise, you'll find that waistbands hang loose or the back panels in a skirt hit your tail end all wrong. Even if you're lucky and everything fits fine, you may still want to take a hem up or let it down to match your personal taste.



There's an art to adjusting prim clothes, but it's not a hard challenge. Next time you're in my shop on Only Yesterday, look for the free gift box that offers hints about adjusting. It includes not only a card with helpful tips but also a pose stand and a privacy screen that can be handy tools. I recommend that you also take a free yellow dress too, so you have something to practice on.




By the way, this cotton dress is new too. It's a nice, relaxed one that I made a while ago just for myself. A number of people have asked about it, though, so I decided to put it in the shop. I'm calling it Bluebird! for no particular reason except that it reminds me of summer afternoons in the Midwest.


OK, enough about clothes and the new me. You don't need to hear more about that.



Today I decided to show you a very nice part of Only Yesterday, the local train depot. It's built to resemble a small town railway station of the 1930s, the sort of place where a few passenger trains and a steady stream of freight trains would pass through every day.






The stationmaster has his office here. A potbelly stove keeps him warm in winter, and big windows give him a good view of the farm down the slope. It's a quiet spot most of the time, so he can put his feet up, enjoy a ham sandwich for lunch, and read the latest copy of Argosy magazine between trains.



I can't resist the temptation to sit at the window while he has stepped away for a moment. Can I sell you a ticket to New York City, maybe? There are special fares to see the World's Fair of 1939. No? Well, maybe Chicago? San Francisco? The trains go everywhere.



There's a very nice display of period photos to look at while you're waiting, and you can get notecards about rail travel too.





Ah, well the train has arrived, though! It's a beauty and it has a full head of steam, right on schedule and ready to head down the line. They'll leave as soon as the baggage is loaded, so I better get on and find my seat.



All aboard! I don't know where we're going, but my ticket is punched and I'm off for the adventure. Go wander around the sim and discover some of our other attractions. I'll see you when I get back!


Bye!



No comments: