Saturday, January 19, 2008

A Walk in the Park

It's a lovely spring day on Info Island International. When the weather is like this, I feel like taking a long walk. Join me.


If I had to choose a favorite part of the island, it would be the southern edge. That's where the French, Italian, Dutch, Scandinavian, and German areas are. [Quick note to myself: I haven't shown you the Dutch or Scandinavian areas in this blog yet. Have to do that.] Those are fascinating places to visit, but I truly enjoy walking on that end of the island because of the parks.

I took you on a visit to the orchard, in the SE corner of the island, a while ago. It's a fun place, especially if you like climbing trees or playing on a swing.

In this photo, I'm standing right on the edge of the orchard, where some thoughtful person has abandoned a picnic basket and a strawberry torte. It's right next to the French area, so I wouldn't be surprised if the francophiles decide to add a bottle of Bordeau and make this their picnic.



There's another restful spot due south of the big ALS building. The quiet pond here, between the Italian and Dutch areas, has swans and a family of ducks in it. I like to sit on a bench in this little park and watch them swimming. Butterflies swarm around the wildflowers, and the maple trees sway in the breeze. There's a bluebird nesting in one of those trees. I see him flying back and forth from the Dutch area all the time.

This is a peaceful spot for daydreaming. I'm good at that. It's also a nice place to meet people as they walk along the path.



If we amble along ourselves, we finally get to a beautiful wooded park in front of the German House. This one has gorgeous, tall fir trees and big, floppy ferns, just like you might see in northern Europe or Canada.

The stepping stone path leads you from the German House to a spot where another thoughtful person has left another picnic basket and another torte on a plaid blanket. This one is a quiet, two-person picnic -- bring a friend.



There's a squirrel running around here. He's hard to spot sometimes, but you can hear him if you are close enough. He chatters away like crazy. Strangers obviously don't bother him; you can walk right up and say "Hi."


When I visit , I usually end up here, under a parasol, reading a book. From this place, I can see anyone walking up the path to the German House, or coming out the front door of the Scandinavian House, but they have to peer through the grasses and shrubbery to spot me.

See why I like this side of the island?


Before you leave, I have to tell you about the new outfit I wore for today's walk. Valentine's Day is coming, so I decided to make something soft and pink. I'm calling it "Romantic Daydreams." (I know that's sappy, but give me a break ... it's Valentine's.)

The knee-length flexi skirt has 24 panels in rose pink, grading to rich strawberry red at the hem. As you can see, it has a gentle flare and hangs flat against the tummy ... all the better to show off your figure. The wrap-around blouse that I made to go with it is pale pink cotton with a pattern of tiny white flowers -- very delicate and feminine.

If you're looking for something pretty to wear for a walk in the park with a special friend, you can find this skirt and blouse at Så Roligt! on Elysian Isle.

No comments: