Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ready for a Chinese experience?

We're back on Info Island International again, my favorite place. Areas on the island are dedicated to different world languages or cultures, so you can wander around and learn about French or Italian or Dutch, for example, and discover something about the people who speak those languages. If you are a teacher or a student, or if you just like learning things, this is a fun place to explore!





Today I'm visiting the China Cafe, which is a huge four-story building on the west side of the island. This is what the ground floor looks like -- nice and open, with a koi pond large enough for swans. It looks very much like open-air buildings in China -- no walls and high ceilings. The second floor holds a large classroom where you can sit on pillows and listen to occasional programs about Chinese culture. This month, there have been presentations about tea, alcohol, and food in China every Sunday morning at 6 a.m. SLT. It's a great way to wake up.



This is the third floor, where there is a very nice library where you can see posters depicting scenes from daily life in China. You can also get notecards about various cultural topics and even see videos. They keep adding things to the library every time I come, so I always learn something new. I'm fascinated by what people wear, of course, so on this visit I've decided to stop and read the information on this poster about Chinese costumes.



My own costume, by the way, is a full-length flexi skirt with a swirl of colorful autumn leaves and a ruffled sepia border at the hem. I always look forward to autumn, when trees look dressy and the air is crisp. With this skirt, I can take a walk in a woodland sim and feel right at home. The skirt's yellow background is most intense at the hem and grades to a paler tone at the waistband, where it matches the color of my blouse. You've seen this keyhole blouse before, remember? I wore it yesterday when we visited Mi Pueblo, on the eastern side of the island. It goes so well with this "Autumn Leaves" skirt that I decided to sell them together in my shop.



The fourth floor of the China Cafe is a peaceful viewing area with a lovely cherry tree at its center. If you're like me, you treasure quiet places where you can relax and think inward thoughts. This one is very Zen-like.



The absolute best part of China Cafe, though, is the roof. If you really want the Chinese experience, try the Tai Chi poseballs. Better yet, bring several friends and practice Tai Chi together. It's the most graceful, slow-motion experience you will find in Second Life -- a full immersion plunge into the ancient art of contemplative exercise.

No comments: